Information

Arizona Aquaponics

Helping each other to learn and grow big nutritious plants and fish to help feed the world.

Members: 186
Latest Activity: 14 hours ago

Welcome

Thank you all for joining my group, I hope to do a lot with all anyone interested. Please
tell me any event suggestions you would like us to do.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Arizona Aquaponics to add comments!

Comment by David Schwinghamer on November 25, 2012 at 3:32pm

Damn, thats a pretty low ph, 5-5.5? I guess it would affect different plants differently cuz my peppers are producing!

Comment by Vlad Jovanovic on November 25, 2012 at 2:36pm

Yup, that about looks the one (on the right).

Comment by Dr. George B. Brooks, Jr. on November 25, 2012 at 2:22pm

@Vlad. Is the the one you are referring to?

http://www.breedbay.co.uk/gallery/data/500/Soil_PH_chart.jpg

Comment by Vlad Jovanovic on November 25, 2012 at 2:14pm

@David That chart is generally accepted to work well, but for soil. That is the soil pH chart.

There is a different pH chart generally accepted for use in a soilless set and setting. You can probably easily fin it in 'internetland'... 

Comment by Dr. George B. Brooks, Jr. on November 25, 2012 at 1:47pm

Greetings Dave. Of the charts I've seen, the you found works well and is also found on page 165 of Syliva's book on aquaponics. It gives a pretty good comparison of the availability of important nutrients across pH ranges.  

Comment by John Malone on November 25, 2012 at 11:43am

@Matt Miskinnis

G'day Matt.  You're almost there with your design, and you probably won't need two pumps.  Also, you can keep the sump at the same level at he fish tank.  Connect the fish tank and the sump with a horizontal pipe through the walls of the tanks at the height you want to keep the water in the fish tank.  Pump from the sump tank and have the water return from the grow beds to the fish tank.  The fish tank will then overflow in to the sump tank, maintaining a constant height.  The sump tank height will fluctuate, but the fish tank height will remain the same.

Many people recommend a SLO (Solids-Lifting-Overflow) so that fish waste and debris don't collect on the bottom of the fish tank. These vary from a simple downpipe that reaches to the bottom of the fish tank (a good place to start) to complicated designs that try to capture all the waste from all corners of the tank.  Check out this link for ideas.

If I was you, I'd keep it simple to start with and see how it works.  Don't glue any of your connections and you can always reconfigure later.

Good luck.

Comment by David Schwinghamer on November 25, 2012 at 8:51am

I found this chart and what to know if its right or not?

Comment by Matt Miskinnis on November 24, 2012 at 9:29pm

For the geek in all of us here is my Bell Siphon test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXp4FqZ920Y&feature=youtu.be

Comment by Matt Miskinnis on November 24, 2012 at 9:13pm

I'm in the final legs of getting my fish tank and grow beds finally built.  I probably have an hour or two of more "construction" time and they're done, then I'll be painting them and weather proofing them.  I'll add a picture when they're done.  I've come to a realization that my sump tank will probably be the same height as my fish tank and I can't bury the sump as I'm renting here and don't want to mess up my landlords yard by digging a whole.  has anyone delt with a sump at the same level as the fish tank?  I figure this is going to be a dual pump system - Fish tank to the beds that drain to the sump and a pump from the sump back to the fish tank, I'm trying to think of genius ideas so I can keep the fish tank at the same level, anyone have any great ideas, I'd love to here them (been scouring the net looking) 

Comment by Matt Miskinnis on November 24, 2012 at 9:06pm

@Dr Brooks, looks awesome, I figure I'm in the same boat, I don't have enough space to replace all my greens, but figure it's better than nothing and it's kind of a pride thing that I can at least replace some produce and fish that I grow my own.

Members (186)

© 2014   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service