Tilapia Breeding

Information

Tilapia Breeding

A place to exchange information on breeding tilapia.  How to set up tilapia breeding colonies.  How to sex fish for breeding colonies. What foods are best for breeding pairs and fingerlings.

Members: 268
Latest Activity: 13 hours ago

Discussion Forum

Tilapia Babies in Sump Tank

Started by Connie H. Last reply by Dave Story Jun 13. 7 Replies

I am newbie to AP and I've only found one other person doing aquaponics in my area (Nashville.) So I'm just blindly plugging along. My system is about 7 months old, 300 gallon tank with 2 grow beds…Continue

Tilapia death question with photo

Started by Kevin R.. Last reply by Kevin R. May 8. 2 Replies

can anyone explain what might of went wrong here? This was a female tilapia which appeared pregnant. She start showing the bulging portion on her then died. any ideas on what went wrong.Also does…Continue

tilapia for sale

Started by john mark. Last reply by Jeff S Mar 31. 2 Replies

hi , i live in farmington michigan and am looking to buy some blue tilapia does any one have any 2-3 inch ones for sale.thanksjohn markContinue

A way to hatch tilapia eggs

Started by Dr. George B. Brooks, Jr.. Last reply by Dr. George B. Brooks, Jr. Mar 15. 25 Replies

Tis the season to breed tilapia. So I thought you might find this paper on how to hatch tilapia eggs helpful. However, just to answer some pre-questions:1. Yes it works.2. Yes it really is that…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Tilapia Breeding to add comments!

Comment by Randall Wimbish on July 21, 2012 at 9:28pm

Well actually, the missing body parts I described were on live swimming fry-fingerlings when I received them. I still have a couple of them alive with one eye but no deaths today.  This experience has given me the excuse to shut down the original small experimental  h.p, system that led me on this journey and start another 60 gallon A.P. system inside my garage with the high intensity lighting for winter salad type plants. I removed 30 small Tilapia out of the aquarium and placed them in the new tank. I have 16 others that I re homed in a sump tank on another system. The aquarium still has a huge amount and they are really growing fast. so time to start harvesting my one year olds and put more fingerlings in the main 150 gallon tank..

Comment by Dave Story on July 18, 2012 at 7:03pm

Randall,

thank you for sharing your experience.

The problem with this site is some people do not have experiences. They read part of one article and they are transformed into experts.

Comment by Sheri Schmeckpeper on July 18, 2012 at 7:00pm

I'm glad it's slowing down. The red gills can be a parasite or a bacterial infection. The missing body parts could be due to fighting, or being eaten after death, which isn't good if they're sick. Watch them closely and pull any dead or dying ones out right away.

Comment by Randall Wimbish on July 18, 2012 at 6:42pm

I got the salt up to 5 ppt and it looks like the mortality rate has almost stopped. I think most of the ones that died had severe ammonia and nitrite poisoning. Some of them had one or both eyes missing, tails missing, chunks out or their backs or were extremely red on the top of their heads and gills.  These fish are not in an aquaponic system yet just in an aquarium until they get bigger. Even though I lost a bunch of them there is still a bunch of them alive.

Comment by TCLynx on July 17, 2012 at 5:04am

problem with giving fish antibiotics is that the antibiotics will kill the bio-filter and can wind up in the plants so it is best to do that kind of treatment in a hospital tank away from your real aquaponics.

Comment by Sheri Schmeckpeper on July 16, 2012 at 10:48pm

Randall, I'm so sorry you had a bad experience like that!

You might be able to  help your fish by raising the temperatures, too. Heat speeds up the life cycle of the parasites. Between salt and heat, you should be able to eliminate the parasitic issues. I can't remember the temps to use, but you want to push it gradually up. Not so high as to harm the fish, though. You can go up to 95 degrees, I believe, but watch it closely.

I would continue to feed them as long as they're eating well. Don't leave any extra food in the tank, though, and continue water changes as needed. Tilapia can handle a high salt level, so that's to your favor in dealing with parasites. It can play havoc with plants, though.

If you have other kinds of ailments, it can be difficult. There are antibiotics you can get, but be very careful about what you give them if you plan on eating them some day, and you don't want the meds to get into any plants, so I would not be treating them in my AP system.

Comment by Dave Story on July 16, 2012 at 8:27pm

I feel your pain. seems breeding is not for the backyard gardener. My opinion.

I have had the best fish from http://tilapiasource.com/

Comment by Randall Wimbish on July 16, 2012 at 7:38pm

I gave up on My breeding expectations and kicked my 2 adults out of my aquarium and purchaced 2 lbs. of fry-small fingerlings on the sales spill that there was about 25 per lb.  When I received them there was about 200 of really sick looking fishlings. I imediately  saw every type of fish disease I have read about over the last year.The problem in question is, I am changing water at a high rate of speed because they caused a ammonia- nitrite spike and I am trying to keep the salt level up as well but they are eating each other up at such a high rate of speed... Should I still feed them???  How can I calm them down? I have tried turning the lights off. There was a reall algae laced tank for about an hour and I went to get another filter system and came back to a pollished tank. I am really expecting now to get the actual estamated 50 fingerlings in the end of the frenzy.

Comment by TCLynx on June 10, 2012 at 5:54pm

Fred, that all depends on if the Feds get involved or not.

Comment by Fred Countryman on June 10, 2012 at 1:43pm

This is a good one for showing just how nuts things are getting.

I can set up a Medical Marijuana grow cheaper and with less regulation And if I get caught growing more then I am allowed the fine is less then raising fish. Maybe I should just grow Pot?

Members (268)

© 2014   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service