I had been admiring my tomato plant for a few weeks now.  Lots of foliage and lots or tomatoes.  Well, when I came home from work last week I found that the sump was nearly dry.  My water was overflowing from the tomato barrel. I pulled about two or three cups worth of roots from my gravel guard area.  Problem solved and lesson learned.  If it looks good on top, check down below!

Views: 55

Comment

You need to be a member of Aquaponic Gardening to add comments!

Join Aquaponic Gardening

Comment by Jim Fisk on July 9, 2014 at 10:46am

Yup, lots of things with AP become apparent AFTER we get rolling. After 2 1/2 yrs in I can now just look at a system and see all the pitfalls that will pop up down the road a few months. Mesh GGs are just one of many and I see people selling their uneducated mistakes on Ebay and have to laugh.(although I certainly feel for the just as uninformed buyer.) I get in trouble trying to help out so I tend to let it pass. Lots of us just seem to enjoy learning the hard way and I include myself in that group

Pulling a GG to replace it is a bit of a chore.

Comment by Alan Barnett on July 7, 2014 at 5:03pm

Nice.  My gravel guard is made of a 1/2 inch plastic mesh.  a few zip ties and it was done.  I was shocked at all of the roots growing.  Maybe a solid plastic pipe is the way to go.  I am still learning as I grow. I have made a lot of mistakes. Thanks for the comment

Comment by Jim Fisk on July 7, 2014 at 10:27am

I simply rotate my 4" gravel guards about every month or two. That cuts the roots right off and they float to the top and are easily removed.

© 2014   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service